My family is always looking for reasons to celebrate! Thanks to National Days, there are lots of reasons to each month! This is the first in our monthly series that will give your family fun things to do and celebrate! Somedays are silly, some days are learning opportunities, some days are just plain weird. No matter what kind of day it is to celebrate, bring your family together and make memories. Be sure to share your photos with us on Facebook and tag us on Instagram with #mkgrandhaven #mkmuskegon! We love to see our readers finding their family fun! Be sure to print your FREE calendar to post so you don't miss a single day of fun!
This month you won't want to miss:
January 1 - New Year's Day
January 2 - Science Fiction Day
- What's your favorite SciFi book or movie? I'll admit I'm not a big fan (gasp!) but my family love Star Wars!
January 4 - Fruitcake Toss Day
- What exactly IS fruitcake? It's just weird enough to be featured in our "Weird Foods of the Month". Check it out HERE!
January 5 - Whipped Cream Day
- Make your own homemade whipped cream with this recipe. Follow us on Instagram HERE and then post a photo of how you enjoyed your whipped cream and tag #mkgrandhaven #mkmuskegon and we'll feature some of our favorite treat photos throughout the week on our Instagram page.
January 6 - Technology Day
- Think about all the ways technology impacts our life (even now you're reading this on a piece of technology that connected to the internet!) While technology is usually very beneficial, like any good thing, moderation may be best. Take time to talk with your kids about being safe with technology usage. Want to have a way to monitor your children's technology usage? Here's one option to check out!
January 9 - National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day
- Today is an opportunity to talk with your family about the ways law enforcement officers protect and serve our communities. It's also a good time to talk with your kids about what to do in the event of an emergency. Do they know what to do if there is a fire? Do they know how to call 911 and the basic information to tell the dispatcher (such as your address)? Do they know what to do if they are lost or separated from you? You can download our FREE Family Safety Binder to help guide your discussions and keep your family safe!
January 11 - Vision Board Day
- You can make your own vision board with this easy family activity.
January 14 - Dress Up Your Pet Day
- My dogs are always looking fashionable in their bandannas, courtesy of my daughter. Think your pets are dapper in their outfits? We want to see! Follow us on Instagram HERE, then post your photo of your pet dressed up and tag #mkgrandhaven #mkmuskegon We will feature some of your pets throughout the week on our Instagram page! Who has the best dressed pet in town?
January 15 - Strawberry Ice Cream Day
- Dating back to at least 1813, strawberry ice cream was served at the second inauguration of James Madison! Do you prefer traditional strawberry ice cream or ice cream topped with strawberries? Heck, why not eat both today? It has fruit, so it's healthy, right?!?!?!
January 18 - Michigan Day
- Did you know you can check out a pass to many Michigan travel destinations from your library? Here's how!
January 19 - Popcorn Day
- Did you know America consumes more popcorn than any other country? How do your like yours, salty or sweet? Try adding cinnamon for a unique flavor, or drizzle on some chocolate for something extra sweet!
January 20 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. day celebrates the Civil Rights leader’s life and legacy. You can enter the Hackley Public Library's Black History Month Calendar contest HERE.
January 23 - Handwriting Day
- When is the last time you sat down and put pen to paper, put a stamp on it, and sent it in the mail? This is a great day to teach your kids the art of handwritten letters! I started writing to a pen-pal in New Zealand when I was 9, and we are still friends today!
January 27 - Chocolate Cake Day
- Have a favorite chocolate cake recipe? Share it with us here for a chance for your to be featured in our newsletter! Although chocolate cake is our favorite, other flavors of cake recipes welcome (after all, who doesn't love cake?!?!)
January 29 - Puzzle Day
- You could do a traditional jigsaw puzzle, or perhaps a crossword puzzle or Sudoku? Or even a game that's like a puzzle such as scrabble or dominoes where you have to figure out just the right place for each piece! Want to get out of the house? Try an escape room!
January 31 - Hot Chocolate Day
- Want a spin on traditional hot chocolate? Try out this hot cocoa ice cream recipe!
Thank you to our January 2020 featured businesses and organizations for your support to make this calendar possible!
Want to make sure you get each monthly calendar? Subscribe HERE for FREE!
Want more information about how your business or organization can be featured in our calendar or become a monthly calendar sponsor?