When you visit the Christmas Lite Show at Fifth-Third Ballpark in Comstock Park, MI, it's hard to believe that this amazing spectacle began 22 years ago with the vision of one man, Bill Schrader. After completing a successful military career, Bill returned home a wounded war veteran, and began lighting up the lives of those in our community through the Christmas Lite Show. During the past 22 years, the show has grown from 1 semi-trailer of lights to 8! And each year it keeps growing!
Bill has one goal: “Our whole mission is to bring a smile to the kids…. It’s all about the kids.”
The Christmas Lite Show seeks to carry out the spirit of Christmas by spreading our joy and good fortune. It’s all about making kids of all ages smile, and helping families make lifetime memories together each year.
I have to commend Bill, as he has achieved his goal. The Christmas Lite Show has been a tradition in my family for many years....10 to be exact! Each year delights with new light displays, and we also enjoy seeing our favorite classic displays too! As soon as the first snow hits and people start decorating their homes with lights, my kids start asking "when are we going to see the Christmas Lite Show?" The kids had so much fun reminiscing about their favorite displays from last year and picking out the new displays!
This year the Christmas Lite Show has not only added amazing new displays and upgraded all of their lights to LED lights, they have also extended their hours each night as well as extended the show through January 4, 2020...they want to make sure no one misses out on this wonderful journey through the magical lights.
If you're looking for something a little extra special for your Christmas Lite Show experience, Santa will make special appearances December 13-15 and December 18-23. You can also check out the Memory Lane Train as a whole new way to enjoy a 30-minute journey through the lights.
No matter if this is your first year going or a yearly tradition, you'll want to come back again and again!
Tips for your visit to the Christmas Lite Show:
- Weekends are usually the busiest times. But don't worry, there are beautiful light displays throughout the path to the entry that are sure to delight at every turn.
- You can purchase your tickets online -- you can print them, or simply download them and show them on your phone. This year was my first year having digital tickets in advance. It was so quick and easy!
- Take your time driving through the display. Enjoy each detail and watch for animated displays.
- Have some family fun while in the car, be it while you wait to enter or as you drive through the lights. Here are some things my family enjoys:
- Play holiday music on the radio during your trip to the Christmas Lite Show
- Have a holiday sing along
- Stop by your favorite coffee shop or convenience store and purchase hot cocoa -- enjoy the treat during your trip.
- Play the holiday ABC game -- the first person to have a turn starts with the letter "A" and finds something they see in the show that starts with "A". The second person finds something that starts with "B", etc.
- Play "I Spy" -- a few things you can look for are the different sports played by the animated characters, a bug, an elephant, and bicycles. What else can you find?
The Christmas Lite Show is open Sunday-Thursday from 5:30pm-9:30pm and Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-10pm November 27, 2019 through January 4, 2020.
It is located at Fifth-Third Ballpark - 4500 West River Dr. NE, Comstock Park, MI 49321.